Psalm 37:4: Take delight in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart.
A year seems to be such a long time. When the year is young, we believe we can achieve certain dreams and goals. But then the busyness of life gets in the way of our plans, and we whittle down our dreams so we don’t disappoint ourselves. Sometimes we plan to resurrect a dream or a goal that we put on the shelf years ago, then we set it aside again. There is a reason we are drawn to certain dreams. God is the author of our dreams; He’s put His dreams in our spiritual DNA.
Psalm 139:14a: I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made.
Not only does our Heavenly Father give us dreams, He enables us fulfill the dreams he has given us.
Philippians 2:13: “For it is God who is working in you, enabling you both to desire and to work out His good purpose.”
Proverbs 16:3: “Commit to the Lord whatever you do, and He will establish your plans.”
A few years ago, a big dream was placed on my heart. As I pursued that dream I discovered a few things about how God works to fulfill His dreams for us.
- A God-sized dream is a dream God created just for you. It’s as individual and unique as you are. God is so big; He will give you a dream that’s big. It may seem unachievable, but nothing is impossible for God (Genesis 18:14; Matthew 19:26).
- A God-sized dream begins to take shape by having faith to follow God’s leading. We have to have the courage to believe God. “For everyone born of God overcomes the world. This is the victory that has overcome the world, even our faith.” 1 John 5:4
- God-sized dreams require we let God lead us. “The true children of God are those who let God’s Spirit lead them.” Romans 8:14, and “I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you with my eye upon you.” Psalm 32:8
- God-sized dreams will grow or shrink in direct proportion to your obedience to God. “Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding” Proverbs 3:5 and, “But whoever looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom,and continues in it—not forgetting what they have heard, but doing it—they will be blessed in what they do.” James 1:25.
- To follow your God-sized dream, you have to let go of your junk. So many people settle for the average, mediocre life. It’s easier to push dreams to the side and forge ahead with the life others expect. Perhaps this happens because we live in a dangerously busy and noisy world. It’s hard to hear God’s voice through all the wrong messages that bombard us each day. We have so much to do we get the incorrect perception that we have to keep up with it all and that leaves little time to pursue the dreams God has given us. There are also so many false messages that are coming at us, so fast, we exist on overload all the time. We always have to sacrifice something. It’s a wonder we get anything done at all. When we are so busy, we don’t stop and listen to God. We tend find security in things we are familiar with, but those things have no lasting value. We get comfortable with our difficult circumstances, or worse, we feel like we don’t deserve good things. But you are not defined by your circumstances. You are not your job loss. Or your divorce. Or your illness. You are not your regrets or failures. You are a child of the one True King. And He has a plan for you! “The Lord of hosts has sworn: ‘As I have planned, so shall it be, and as I have purposed, so shall it stand,’” Isaiah 14:24 and, “Surely there is a future, and your hope will not be cut off.” Proverbs 23:18
- God-sized dreams start to become reality when we seek God with our whole heart. If you want to know what the God-sized dream God has waiting for you, start by spending some quality time alone with Him. Ask Him to silence the noise of this world so you can listen to Him alone. Ask Him what His plans are for you, and how you are to go about achieving them. God has a way of speaking to each one of us. He will let you know your heart’s desire, and guide you to fulfilling that dream. (1 Kings 19.)
What is the God-sized dream our Lord has placed on your heart? I don’t know what your God-sized dream looks like. Maybe it seems scary or unattainable. Perhaps you don’t feel qualified to chase that dream. Consider this: If you don’t follow the dream God has given you are you going to look in the rear-view mirror of life and have regrets? When it comes time to stand before the Lord, what are you going to say to Him if you don’t follow the dream He has given you?
You will never regret following your God-sized dream. After all, God created it just for you.
“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, ‘plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.’”
May the Lord richly bless your dreams.
Image: Google Images