Prayer and Fasting

Fasting bible plate.aspx

I have never fasted. I have given things up for Lent, but I would not call that fasting. I don’t like to go hungry. I wonder if that means I’m missing out on a blessing, or perhaps a miracle. There is something I have been praying about for quite some time and nothing has happened. Should I add fasting to my prayers? This Lenten Season I believe I am being called to fast.

Before His ministry began, Jesus fasted for forty days (Matthew 4:1-11, Mark 1:12-13, and Luke 4:1-4.) If Jesus needed to fast, it seems I should too.

The Bible commands both prayer and fasting. In Matthew 6:16-18, “Jesus said, ‘And when you fast …’” Notice that Jesus said when, not if. Joel 2:12 tells us, “’Yet even now,’ declares the Lord, ‘return to me with all your heart, with fasting, with weeping, and with mourning.’”

Consider a few of the miracles that happened in the Bible as a result of fasting. When Daniel was thrown into the Lion’s den, King Darius spent the night fasting. The next morning it was discovered Daniel was unharmed (Daniel 6). Nehemiah fasted and prayed, then was allowed to go rebuild Jerusalem. (Nehemiah 1-3). Queen Esther requested a fast to save her people (Esther 4:15-16).

The purpose of fasting is to turn our focus to God. Isaiah 58 explains the proper way to fast, then outlines the blessings of fasting.  I have decided it’s time I fast as well as pray. I am expecting to hear from God when my fast is over. I don’t know what God will tell me, but I do expect joy and guidance. Isaiah 58:14 tells us, “’then you will find your joy in the Lord, and I will cause you to ride in triumph on the heights of the land and to feast on the inheritance of your father Jacob.’ For the mouth of the Lord has spoken.”

Ezra 8:23

“So we fasted and petitioned our God about this, and he answered our prayer.”

Joel 1:14

“Declare a holy fast; call a sacred assembly. Summon the elders and all who live in the land to the house of the Lord your God, and cry out to the Lord.”

Blessings on your day.

Scripture: www.biblegateway.com

Image: google images

Advertisements

15 thoughts on “Prayer and Fasting

1. I too find fasting hard because my flesh is constantly screaming at me to feed it. However, when we fast we put ourselves in a position to hear the Lord. This can be through His Word (most likely), through dreams, or whatever manner He chooses. While recently on a modified fast, I had a dream where the Lord showed me how subtle persuasion is causing many to compromise the name of Jesus and to buy in to the lies of the devil.

2. Julie, it does indeed sound as if you are being called to fast, and I think that’s the most important place to begin. When I believe it’s time for me to fast, I ask God to give me grace for it, which sounds very trite and “Christian-y,” but I mean it in the raw-est and most primal sense because it is hard to fast, but it is even harder not to treat it like a lucky rabbit’s foot or a bargaining tool with God; i.e., “God, look at me fasting for You, right now. You owe me . . .” I think that open-handed fasting requires grace.

3. Thanks for the reminder Julie … my attempts at fasting have been so feeble that they probably could not be called attempts at all. But just like you, I have also been convicted that fasting is not an if … but a when. While not there yet personally, you are in my prayers for your Lent fast … may God be glorified!

4. Hi, Julie, thanks for stopping by my blog. I love this post! I’ve only done very minimal fasting in the past, but I’ve always thought that as a whole, we’ve forgotten the wonderful blessings that can come about as a result of depriving ourselves of earthly nourishment for a time in order to get closer to God.

5. Julie, God calls us to fast for a reason. Many times there were challenges ahead of me I didn’t know about but God did. When I was obedient my challenging time went much better having fasted. God calls us to fast so our flesh will no longer rule us. Fasting brings the voice of both God and the enemy. If you use your time of fasting food, to worship, praise, pray and listen for the Lord, you will be amazed. Look at a fast, as a time to draw closer to God and to get rid of distractions that muffle his voice. Think of what you are gaining, closeness with theLord, not deprivation. If you fall down and eat something you shouldn’t, repent and get back to fasting and praising God. Grace and mercy as you start on this rewarding adventure that binds the hand of the enemy. You will hear clearer the ore you obey what God tells you to do. You can fast, Julie!🙏👆🌈🎶

6. Dear sis Julie,
    Very thoughtful. Just sharing a bit about prayer and fasting, till now I and husband always take prayer and fasting on Monday and Thursday. As Pure Glory said, fasting will draw us classes to God and being more focus to His will and commands. Also train us to endure in the flesh temptations. Also, taking fasting regularly, beside strengthen our spiritual health, it is very good for our body health 🙂 I am strongly believe you can do fasting with God’s strength upon you. Blessings to you, sis.

7. Hi… It’s nice to read this topic again. I also tried to explore the same some time back. In my view, fasting is a way to show the extent of our trust and faith in God, to show that we have self control and can distract ourselves from worldly attractions, to show our focus and determination and to show the acceptance that for us God is everything. You can have a look at my views on my blog