We Don’t Become Angels When We Die

There’s a lot of misinformation about heaven out there. Yesterday I heard a human interest story on the news. The heroine had passed away, so the narrator explained she had “earned her wings,” implying she had become an angel in heaven.

I’ve heard people tell those who have lost children that God just needed another angel.

There’s nothing in the Bible that tells us we become angels when we die. The angels already exist (Genesis 2:1, Job 38:7, Colossians 1:16), and there are multitudes of them (Daniel 7:10; Matthew 26:53; Hebrews 12:22). God doesn’t need more angels.

Perhaps those who cling to misinformation are unsure what happens after death. There is eternity after our earthly death. The question is, where will you live in eternity? There are two places to choose from, Heaven, and eternal life with our Savior, or hell and an eternity away from all the goodness our God has to offer. But we have to choose before the end of this life (Romans 10:9-10 and 13).

The apostle Paul tells us that those who have chosen Christ will be present with the Lord after their earthly death (2 Corinthians 5:8, Philippians 1:23). God has big plans for us when we arrive in heaven. We will be welcomed home (John 14:2) and we will spend eternity in paradise (Luke 23:43). We can’t really imagine what wonders God has in store for us.

1 Corinthians 2:9

However, as it is written:

“What no eye has seen,what no ear has heard,

and what no human mind has conceived”—
 the things God has prepared for those who love him—

Have you chosen where you want to spend eternity?

If you are unsure, or just have questions, please message me, or find a Bible-believing church to help you with the most important decision you will ever make.

Blessings,

Julie

Advertisements

31 thoughts on “We Don’t Become Angels When We Die

1. I, too understand the truth of what you have shared. I think people find it hard to let go of loved ones so find a measure of comfort believing they become guardian angels when they die. I know God has something even more wonderful waiting for those who know him! Beyond what we can imagine. Thank you for your post. May God continue to use you for his glory.

2. Hi Julie,
    Heaven and Paradise are not synonyms. Heaven is always above the earth and Paradise is always on the earth. We will not spend eternity in Heaven, but we will spend eternity with our Lord, Jesus. After the Great Tribulation, when we return with Jesus on horseback to fight the battle of Armageddon with him, we will join the faithful of Israel in the land of Israel for 1,000 years. Then Satan is released and defeated once and for all. After that, a new Heaven and new earth is created where we will spend eternity in Paradise on that new earth.

As for unbelievers, they will experience the 2nd death in the Lake of Fire and be burnt to ashes, not eternally tormented in a fictional place called Hell. Hell is the grave today and nothing else. Everyone who has ever lived and died is still in the grave, awaiting the Rapture or the 1st or 2nd Awakening (Resurrection).

• Julie,

In Second Corinthians 12.2, Paul spoke of being caught up to the third heaven, and as he described the situation further in verse 4, he referred to the third heaven as Paradise.

I believe the third heaven, Paradise, and heaven all refer to the same experience, or place. Even the place of comfort where Lazarus was, and where Jesus and the thief on the cross went, can be included.

True, someone might say that they went to the good side of the Hades, but it was nevertheless, in the presence of the Lord in a heaven-like place.

• Don, I really appreciate you educating me on this issue. I was thinking about writing a Bible study on heaven. The research alone would take quite some time. I wonder, how much mis-information is there about heaven.
        I might not be the one to tackle such a study, but it might be good information for people to have.
        Thank you again.
        Blessings.

3. kind of harsh, but i admire speaking your mind. personally, any mechanism that brings comfort for someone and makes them believe that they are closer to god cannot be evil. but that’s just me.

4. Dear Julie,

This was not a harsh post, but an excellent one, and one that agrees entirely with Scripture. The problem is that so few people want to believe the Bible, because they just don’t want to do what it says. There may be temporary “comfort” for those who delude themselves into thinking “something better” waits for their dearly departed. But if said dearly departed spent a lifetime spurning God’s grace, I see little hope for them. It is unkind and deceptive to pretend otherwise. Of course, God sees the heart, and there is always a chance that the lost one chose God at the very end. But why wait that long and take that chance? God gives us all plenty of chances to choose Him today, and every day.

Keep up the good work. You are making us learn to think more critically, and that is something we all need.

May the Lord bless you! And give you courage to keep speaking the hard truth!

5. Dear Julie,
    Looks like you’ve decided not to post my comments; not surprising. Not too many know how to receive the Word with meekness. Funny how you choose to post ones that only agree with your erroneous, non scriptural positions. My comments were intended to enlighten, not criticize or condemn. .Paul warned us in Timothy and Titus to not receive those who promote unsound doctrine, but to reprove and attempt to correct them. If you will not receive my words I will just shake the dust off my feet against you. You have written a post on misinformation with misinformation.

• Dear Mr. Wolfe,
      Sadly, your comments went to my spam box first. Since I work full time, I only check the spam box every few days.
      At this point I don’t know what to do about your comments since you seem to be angry with me because I could not get to your comments fast enough.
      I only want to post the truth. But you seem to think I’m not Christian. Nothing can be further from the truth.
      Jesus told the thief on the cross next to him, “Today you will be with me in paradise.” I believe heaven will be like a paradise based on the words of Christ Himself.
      If you want to know more about heaven, how about reading Randy Alcorn’s book on Heaven?

If you want to shake the dust off your feet at me, that’s fine. I wish you many blessings anyway.

• Sorry, I jumped the gun. The verse you quoted here is exactly what I am talking about. Jesus didn’t say to the thief, “today you will be with me in paradise,” because Jesus didn’t go to paradise that day or any day since then. What he said was “I say unto you today, thou shalt be with me in paradise.” Can you see what difference a “comma” makes? Whenever Jesus goes to Paradise, that thief will be there, which will not be until after the Millennial Kingdom.

At the Rapture of the Church we will meet Jesus in the air and return with him to Heaven. We will only be there 7 years until we return with him to fight the Battle of Armageddon. Jesus is the only begotten from the dead who is living. Everyone else is in the grave, Sheol, translated as hell, also.

Punctuation, capitalization, chapter and verse separations are not holy spirit inspired; they were added by the translators. A parable is a figure of speech, which are not literal. Jesus used them to make a point, not make statements of fact.

Please forgive me for jumping to conclusions.

• Dear Mr. Wolfe,
        I wish we could all read the original translations. That’s one reason I like to look at several different versions when I do Bible Study.
        Your point is interesting. I’ve studied other Bible Scholars who think that once we die we are present with the Lord. Do you believe they are mistaken? (Paul in 2 Cor 5:8).
        Are you saying we are in hell until the Rapture? Revelation is difficult to understand. Can we be sure of the symbolism?

We all jump to conclusions. We’re human. Please pardon my delay in responding. You went to my Spam box again. I don’t know why that is happening.

• The original text did not have punctuation, nor did it use lower case letters, and it did not put spaces between the words. Therefore, we have to figure all those things out by context.

Thus, we have to ask ourselves why would Jesus tell the thief that He was speaking today? Did the thief not know that Jesus was speaking today? Of course, he did, but the point of the response of Jesus was the immediate destination of both Jesus and the thief, which would be Paradise.

6. Great post! When my daughter was 10 yo we had a conversation about angels. I explained to her what you said. Then we had a good time looking at God’s description of heaven in Revelations. The truth is more wonderful by far than fiction.

7. Having done a bit of hospice work, I’ve learned that many – Christians included – have a wrong understanding of heaven altogether. I started asking around, and discovered that most envision heaven as being in a white nightie, sitting on a cloud, strumming a harp, for an eternal church worship service.

They don’t want to go to this “Epcot Center’ and see the sights around it because they think it would be a field trip to a business complex. A few travel brochures would change their mind in a hurry. Once they catch a glimpse of the Lord’s version of Disneyworld, everything changes!

Hmm. Isolation, monotony, inactivity…that’s hell, not heaven. Now I wonder who’s behind the false information?

Thanks for your post. We really need to talk more about heaven. How can we ever be heavenly minded without any information about the place? 😉

\o/

• Thank you so much for your comment.
      I’ve been thinking about writing about heaven for my second Bible Study. There is a good bit of info in the Scriptures on it, we just aren’t taught about heaven.
      This study would take a lot of work. My last one took 2 years. But based on your comment, I think it’s probably a good idea.
      Thanks for commenting.
      Blessings to you.

• Oh, please do! The lady I’m caring for…sweet Christian woman…is scratching and clawing to stay on this earth because of this misconception. Every day I say, “Let’s talk about heaven.” Bit by bit, her fear is decreasing and excitement taking its place. Education in this area is desperately needed!

\o/

• I’m meeting with my Pastor on Thursday at lunch, and this is one of the things we will discuss. Just pray I will do as God desires. Blessings to you and thank you for caring for the elderly.

8. I’ve no question regarding angels ~ I know they’re always around us! I’ve seen mine and, had friends that during moments of car accidents or grave illnesses and going into very difficult situations EACH of these have felt/seen ministering angels gathering around their body; showing them maps, different medications they should make from herbs etc… Theses angels in my belief, knew us before being sent here. Wonderful post!

9. Interesting stuff! I agree that the Bible doesn’t ever talk about us turning into angels at death. I appreciate that what you write is based on the Bible alone. You’re lucky you have a lively discussion going too! ~Lemuel